02 March 2011

I hope you were the mold that made penicillin.

Another change: My tolerance of mold and other moisture.

Ecuador is wet. It rains basically every day. The humidity in the air means that my clothes never dry: they have this permanent chill when you put them on in the morning due to the almost-damp. Mold grows profusely everywhere (and the lack of refrigeration doesn't help matters).

Maryam said the other day "Try not to mind the mold. I think of it as friendly mold."  And though its not as if we live in a petri dish, I have become comfortable with "friendly mold". Not in terms of eating it, and not in terms of not cleaning, but being able to deal with it.

The way I think of it, mold has cured a ton of diseases, and so with this exposure to spores and bacteria, my body could absorb a cure, or at least build up a ton of resistance.

Mold, you and I live a peaceful coexistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment