02 March 2011

Approach to Sleep

Another change: My approach to sleep and travel.

For me, travel used to be a big deal. If I went anywhere, it would be in a plane. Here, I can win 10 fingers because I've been in a plane (in a pickup truck full of youth, 5 or 6 of us have been in a plane). Coming back really late at night or early in the morning would necessitate a day or at least a morning off to rest. Sleep was something that I needed every night, and if I missed a night I would have to take part of a day to catch up.

Now, I'm looking at getting on a bus tonight, arriving at the beach tomorrow morning, going dancing tomorrow night, going to the beach Friday morning, taking a bus back home Friday night, and waking up early on Saturday in order to go zip-lining. Then on Sunday I'm getting up early to drop Emily off at the airport and grading what will be a mountain of papers in time for school on Monday.

And the funny thing is, this is a plan that I am okay with. I am not searching my schedule for naptimes (although I'm sure I'll want them). The idea of going going going like this, riding busses through the night and waking up incredibly early is part of the culture, and although I am not super enthused about the getting up early part, I have learned to live (and teach classes!) on 3 hours of sleep.

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome. Just so you know. And not just because you sacrifice sleep to do fun things with me. You just are.

    ReplyDelete