31 August 2010

Going South

Although the Houston airport has many charms (like uncomfortable seats, limited electrical outlets, and southern assistants that call you “Honey!”) it lacks proper free internet. Boingo, you are not free. You do not even have good rates, and you are a ripoff. Other networks, I’m very confused as to why you’re even here, because you do not work. So, I am chronicling my experiences via Word and will update the blog when I can (sorry for the delay, people).

So far, my trip has been in airplane mode. I really think that, however dramatic or emotional my life is, when I go from one airport to another I automatically kind of shut down into focusing on small, straightforward tasks: Take out your liquids. Find the gate. Make sure you have everything. Find your suitcase. Speaking as somebody who has a track record for losing stuff, and spacing out, these tasks take up my mind. So it was only when I was through security that I teared up, and only once I got on the plane that actual tears fell.  (PS: Becky, Cori, Mom, those cards were amazing.)

Soon after I had a little cry in the window seat (luckily, the guy next to me was wearing an honest-to-God eye bag and headphones so he didn’t notice or get too weirded out) I realized the one thing that I forgot to bring: tissues. And so I spent several undignified moments sniffing, and we were off.

I’m not sad to be going. I wasn’t sad to be going either. I think the tears were brought on by the overwhelming outpourings of love from all of my family and friends. It was the climax of finally going when I had waited so long to go. It was the emotions of excitement and anxiety and solitude and loneliness and courage and fear.

I tried to sleep on the plane, with the usual results. I closed my eyes a few times but mostly just got a crink in my neck. Typical plane.

When we stopped in Seattle, I got a new seat companion: an old lady, alone, who spoke limited English and couldn’t walk on her own. At the end of the journey, the attendants didn’t bring her wheelchair so I carried her bag up the aisle. It was nice to be able to help in this tiny way, and I hope my period of service is off to a humble start by being of some small service to this woman!

Now I have a very long layover in the Housten Airport. The Housten Airport that doesn’t have internet. So my long emails I was planning on writing will have to wait. But I love everyone and thank you for the support you’ve given me so far, and the overwhelming love I receive from you all!

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment