14 June 2011

An artistic side...

In my last two weeks here, I've taken over Maryam's art class. She has two hours with segundo every week (not gonna lie, that can be a nightmare) and two classes with tercero (first and second grade). I thought it would be more or less terrible, because singlehandedly teaching a class where the idea is using new supplies (therefore making the kids CRAZY) is generally not how I would like to finish my day of teaching. But its actually turned out to be really enjoyable. I like art. Not only the teaching part, but the doing part. I've never considered myself a wholly artistic person. But its fun using my creativity, figuring out what we can do with limited supplies (tercero has, literally, no paper.) and finding things the kids will enjoy. In segundo we're using clay. We made snakes last class and are now going to make Octopi. Here's my example:


Also, on my free hours in the afternoon, Kendy comes up to the office and hangs out with me. We made sea animals yesterday. It was at this point that he told me "let's play a game where you're my big sister and I'm your little brother, and I just brought home a fish in my hands." I almost cried and had to go to the bathroom for a second...How can I leave him in 5 days?

Anyways, Kendy is way into sharks, and so I make fish and sharks and fish-like animals and then he will play for an hour with his shark eating all the other animals. Sometimes I play too.


Tercero is making sock puppets. I washed some of my (and Emily's) old socks out as best I could and today they will be cutting out foamix and paper for eyes, mouths, and clothes. Here's my example:




I haven't thought of a name yet, but I think I can use my limited ventriloquist skills to present this art project!

2 comments:

  1. Yay socks! And art! And you! (I like the octopus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sock puppets with broken and singing hearts all at the same time! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete