09 April 2011

My not-so-secret aspiration.

So you know how everyone has these secret aspirations? If I was more daring, I would become a lounge singer. I secretly think I could be a great film director. I wanna be an astronaut. Or, in the words of Alex from "Everything is Illuminated" (its a good movie, you should watch it) "I write too, but I think I was born to be an accountant."

Well, my secret aspiration involves me being a restaurant co-owner. And not just any restaurant co-owner.




I want to make pies.


I love pies. I love making them,  I love eating them (although I love making them more, which is probably a good thing.) I like the creativity of arranging a restaurant and themeifying it. I like the idea of having an industrial sized oven and going home with flour in my hair. I like the idea of working with Elika, even if its 14 hour days.

And until this year, this dream has been kind of a random ambiguous type aspiration. But now I'm kind of thinking, why not? I like baking, I make tolerably delicious desserts, I'm a fair head with numbers, and UAF* has both culinary arts and business classes. (I mean, I'm still wanting to take foreign languages...but I can do both, right?)

Another sign that made me think Hey, this could actually work! is that in a secondhand store today, I found waitress outfits.

So this is me in my head, thinking about my future:

And this is the dress I got for Elika, just in case (and if the whole restaurant thing doesn't work out, we could always be the waitress sidekick from the delicious movie "The Waitress"):






So my secret aspiration: unveiled to the world (although everyone who reads this proabably knows it anyway). See you in 10 years: possibly as a translator, possibly as a bum on the other side of the world, and possibly as a foreign traveling piemakeress (think Vianne in Chocolat, only with pie), possibly in Anytown, USA, with a cheery smile and a menu.


*Oh yeah, that's where I'll be next year, if I didn't tell you. Go Nanooks!

3 comments:

  1. VALERIE!!! I love you. And your aspirations. And the awesome thing i'm starting to realize is that there are SO many possibilities, and you don't have to pick just one! Even if you start out somewhere, you can always change your mind and own a pie restaurant later down the road... or earlier :)

    Also, I would totes eat at your restaurant like every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited about this, and I'm starting to think of it as a not-so-whimsical aspiration too. At least enough to look up "how to start a restaurant" on google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chocolat the movie.

    love it.

    ReplyDelete