19 September 2010

Laundry Day

Today I was able to finally clean my clothes.


I have not done laundry since I arrived. And before you get all grossed out, I'll have you know that its been 19 days, although it seems like way longer than that to me. So I was definitely in need of some clean socks.

Luckily, José Luis, our somewhat-landlord and friend who lives next door, was very welcoming. He let us use his washing machine. This was a relief to me, because I had seen the other people who live in this same area washing clothes in large tanks outside, by hand. This seemed like a lot a lot of work, especially because the water did not look completely clean. I was so happy to see the little Whirlpool sitting in their kitchen (the house has only a few rooms, and the kitchen apparently doubles as a laundry room). After we finished a load of whites, we hung up our socks in our room (conveniently there is a clothesline hanging diagonally so its always in your way!) and shirts along with the multitude of other clothes in the courtyard. Weekends are laundry days here, and everyone was hanging clothes, taking dry clothes down, washing, etc:

The courtyard behind our apartment



Our room with clean laundry
And so I just thought I'd tell the world: I have clean clothes! (although most are still wet, and its night, so hope it doesn't rain tonight.) I have cold hands! I have to read directions on dissolving laundry detergent better! I have school tomorrow!

Thats it for tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Dude! I do laundry on weekday mornings...because no one else does. But yeah, the need for clean socks is when I know it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely didn't learn the old Girl Scout song..... "Black Socks". It goes like this.....
    "Black socks, they never get dirty the longer you wear them the stronger they get.... Sometimes I think of the laundry, but something keeps telling me don't send them yet!" The tune... you'll have to make up your own - Till I can humm it for you. But, I'm sure you can come up with a good ukelele tune for the words and translate to sing to your students - of course while you're wearing BLACK SOCKS! Time for a fashion/function forward change to BLACK SOCKS! Lessen the laundry day stress.... switch to an all black wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do laundry on weekend mornings too! not during the weekday because I have class at either 8 or 9, and that would just be getting up too early. But I don't really know what to thing about you blogging about laundry. Surly there are more exciting things going on in Ecuador! though it has been 19 days... So I guess that kind of does make it a momentous occasion.

    ReplyDelete