09 August 2010

Top 10 Reasons Random Gift-Giving Is Worthwhile

Giving a gift to someone for no apparent reason is an amazing thing.  Here's why:

10. The Golden Rule. Who doesn't like to receive random gifts? So give them.

9.  Random gifts are so much more spontaneous. Instead of searching through a box store or online to find the perfect gift for a perfect occasion, it can be whatever, whenever. Case in point: I am working at the Alaska Original Gourmet Hand-Dipped Ice Cream booth in Fairbanks, Alaska, at the Tanana Valley State Fair. Today, someone won a prize at the bottle toss or duck catch or whatever. They must not have cared for it that much, because they left it on the counter, probably intoxicated by the delicious smells of warm chocolate and the anticipation only vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and rolled in oreos can create. Anyways, that little prize became a random gift for my sister, Cori.

Surprise, Cori!
So, maybe Cori does not exactly need a stuffed, melancholy octopus. But giving it to her is thoughtful, which brings us to...

8. Random gifts say you are thinking of a person not only at their birthday, or their anniversary, or when your iPhone says "calendar announcement!" It shows that you thought of them when you didn't really need to think of them based on societal standards of good friendship (or, in this case, sisterhood).

7. Random gifts allow you to attach meaning to an otherwise meaningless object, and relate a meaningless object to an event as a memory. Case in Point: Mr. Octopus is sad, which reminds Cori of her sadness at me leaving for Ecuador. However, me giving it to her can change the meaningless "sad octopus" to a reminder that I think of her even when I am not in living in the same house as her, so when I go to Ecuador I will still be thinking of her, and so sad octopus is a reminder that I'm thinking of her!

6. Random gifts are cheap, or free. The point of a random gift is making up some meaning or worth. It is not about the value of the object itself. Getting an ipod is great (and, in some cases, getting an ipod, especially a retro green ipod mini loaded with Paul Simon and Fleetwood Mac is a random gift of the best kind) but generally the value is in the resale price or the capacity to store music. On the other hand, Case in Point #2, a random gift for Elika Roohi (another amazing blogger, follow her at: www.elikaa.blogspot.com) can be found free at Fairbanks' entrance:

Surprise, Elika!
 Yes, it is a plastic hat which says "Mining rocks Alaska!"* Not a perfect fit for my friend Elika, who, as far as I know, neither supports nor opposes Mining Rocks Alaska! But, it will work out because...

5. Random gifts can be easily altered (Case in Point #2: Placing a sticker of mutual appreciation in place of the "Mining Rocks Alaska!") to create a personalized gift.

4. Random gifts create good inside jokes. And I don't mean inside jokes as a way to exclude people. But having random gifts gives rise to creativity, which gives rise to memories (such as breaking down a snow fort while wearing  a plastic "hard" hat and nerd glasses at 2 am). Case in Point #3: I was given a random gift which has given me countless hours of entertainment, a creative outlet, and a surefire way to annoy my sister:

Best gift, EVER!
This photo would be received very differently if you haven't ever taken photos using the ukulele as a prop (for instance, on top of a mountain with the aforementioned "hard" hat and a folding shovel.)

3. Random gifts are like Willy Wonka's chocolate: as Charlie says "Candy doesn't need a point." Perhaps there isn't a point to giving someone a roll of CAUTION DO NOT ENTER tape, but I still loved getting it.

2. Random gifts can be given at any time. I know this is somewhat obvious, but its a freedom: you can make someone smile at any time. And sometimes, it will make them smile more than a mere birthday present or christmas gift because of...

1. The element of SURPRISE! (Except in this post, because Elika and Cori, you already know what you're getting.)

-1. Zayn, this reason  is for you.

Thanks for reading!

*Please do not mistake my (albeit backward) photo as an endorsement for mining in Alaska. Truly, I just liked the hat.

5 comments:

  1. You are brilliant. Has anyone told you that?? Especially at 2:30 in the morning.... What are we doing up this late anyway? I'm a fan of the metaphorical melancholy octopus btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. AHHHHH!!!! I LOVE THE HARDHAT! Previously, I'd secretly been jealous of you and Jamie and your hard hats deep down in the recess of my heart where my petty jealousies lie, but AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    2. I love that you love the iPod, because I also love it but it just couldn't hold all of my musical love, and it was so old that I couldn't sell it for very much, and knowing you have it and you love it is THE BEST THING that I think could happen to it. Also, I'm glad you like the music on it. I think the music on there is the 4GBs that I thought were the most important at the beginning on junior year.
    3. Not to attribute the success of ukuleles to me or anything, but look at how much ukulele goodness has come of your $10 uke! Nabs has a uke, I have an awesome uke, you have THREE ukes, many other people have played our ukes and derived joy from them!
    4. What Emily said. Why are we still up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I liked your reason for Zayn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are up because of THE BLOGGING EPIDEMIC THAT IS SWEEPING THE WORLD! (or at least sweeping us three). Read more about it in the blog to come: Epidemic: writing your thoughts (tentative title. actually, I hate that title. But you get the idea.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in trouble now..... I have enlisted my employees to cut me off from your blog... this one was WAY too funny. I can't stop alone and really do need to be doing some ice cream paperwork! ICK!!!

    ReplyDelete