24 April 2011

Homecoming...and going

I love traveling. I just spent one of the best weeks I had here, traveling through Ecuador (and that trip will get the long, picture-filled post it deserves very soon). One of the things I love most about traveling, though, is coming home. Its the familiarity, the relief of wearing clothes that do not smell like a mixture of salt water and sweat, the clean sheets. Even the slug trails covering our kitchen windows and sink were welcome (at least more than they are usually) because it meant that I was at home.

Home.

I truly think of this place as my home. When I'm upset and that "I wanna go home" whine starts in my head, its describing my comfortable spot on the bed (which now has 3 cochones, so I can't even feel the slats anymore!). I am so happy here.

And so, of course, time speeds up and I realized I only have 6 more weeks before going back to Alaska.

Which makes me incredibly sad. I want to stay. I want to keep up with my clases de niños and finish the curriculum with them. I want to see Claudia's baby. I want to see Kendy continue his English-Language Explosion. I want to be able to visit all of the welcoming, amazing, beautiful people I have met here, and have them visit me.

I've done so much this past year. But there is so much more I want to do, and contemplating those 6 weeks is scary and all sorts of sad. But I pray for detachment, and try to focus on the time I do have.

And if anyone has any ideas on 1)Teleportation, 2)Maintaining Alaskan Residency while living abroad or 3) Deferring another year, please don't be afraid to speak up.

2 comments:

  1. I selfishly don't want you to stay in Ecuador. Except for having been there I know how awesome it is, and maybe I can just move there with you? I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find a way to maintain residency and defer, COME LIVE WITH ME!!!

    ReplyDelete