25 January 2011

I Miss My Emotional Twin Pie

So, I am halfway through watching The Waitress. And despite a mediocre, predictable plot, Nathan Fillion stars in it, and the main character (that girl from August Rush) spends her life making and inventing pies. And I really like that idea. Sadly, I have neither the resources or the time to create a new pie every day. But I can invent one, and on nights when I can't sleep, I can make miniature versions out of clay and record the recipes here for when I have an industrial-sized kitchen with gleaming stainless steel countertops and knives that will actually cut through a fruit. And here is the first pie:

I Miss My Emotional Twin Pie

First you take equal parts strawberries, mora, and blueberries, but they have to just be ripe, so that they're still sour. Mix those up and simmer with sugar and a liberal amount of lemon juice. Put the berries in a crust but leave some of the juice out.

Mix cream cheese, caramel, and egg whites to make a cream to go on top, but it should still be runny enough to fill the pie plate around the fruit. Drizzle the juice over the top.

Add a lattice crust and sprinkle with lemon zest. Brush with egg white before you put it in the oven.

 
 
 
Elika, I miss you.

7 comments:

  1. wow, love the concept and the pics!!! (you rock the head band thingie Val!).

    maybe you could work with the pie-shop so that you creations become relaity....

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I LOVE YOUR BANDANA AND THIS POST AND THE MOVIE WAITRESS AND NATHAN FREAKING FILLION AND PIE AND YOUR CLAY PIE AND YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU.

    45 days 0 hours 49 minutes and 20 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kitchen is available for pie making when you take the big flight back to Alaska.... though, we are a little short on the quantities of stainless steel you'd like. Like the idea for sleepless nights - what do you do about the small clay bits in the bed?
    Note to photographer: The composition - PERFECT - you in a blue print headband, against a blue wall with a blue print cloth item hanging slightly on camera view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In an alternative universe, you are a pie maker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully in this universe, I will be a pie maker too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just commenting again to say Quinn read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, 39 days 3 hours 25 minutes and an arbitrary amount of seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete