21 December 2010

Sometimes, I miss stuff

The title basically says it all. I'm super happy here, and I'm not super sad to be staying a year without going home. I was prepared to have vacations traveling in South America, not skiing at Hatcher's. But now, everyone's facebook post is "Its so great to be home!".

And so maybe I want to be in Alaska too.

Which sucks, but I'm sure it will pass. I have stuff to look forward too, like spending Christmas in Milagro with Bahieh and Maryam, who are amazing. (And, did I mention Milagro is warmer than Otavalo, which means it is tropical compared to Alaska?) I spent yesterday on a field trip with some of my favorite students, which deserves a whole post to itself. And I got a message from Lewis and Clark, which means they didn't forget me! (and consequently means, hello scholarship applications).

But anyways: Family, I miss you and our christmas tree and the ease of making hot cocoa or chai tea in the microwave. I also miss our coffee maker; this instant powder stuff is just not the same.

Friends: I miss you and going skiing with you and kayak sledding and christmas carols and sitting in front of fireplaces, and candy canes. And I miss the feeling of coming together after  a long time apart, which I haven't actually experienced yet, but it sounds amazing. Keep updating your facebooks, I want to live vicariously through you. And group skype, please!

I miss you!

2 comments:

  1. Valerie, I miss YOU. And we shall have quite the reunion in February! And then again with everyone when you get home in.... HEY! When are you coming home anyway? Enjoy the tropics while we freeze our butts off here in AK. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, It really does seem quite lonesome here without you too, but I just think of the fabulous and important experience you are having and it helps get through this blip. So great to skype with you today, and so glad for your get-away and opportunity to sleep on a real mattress. And soon will arrive a magic box for you. Stay busy...and smile and feel loved...a ton! -Mom

    ReplyDelete