25 November 2010

The Mandatory Thanksgiving Post

So, I think its blogging etiquette to post on Thanksgiving. Because thanksgiving is a time for sitting around a heavily loaded down table and making eloquent speeches about the blessings in your life.

This wasn't how I spent my Thanksgiving. Living in Ecuador means people don't celebrate my favorite holiday here. But I didn't go to school due to a flu bug. After waking up for the third time (the first to decide that I was too sick to go to school, the second after being poked in the cheek by my 4-year-old neighbor before he went to school, and finally the third of my own accord) I spent the day in looking up writings for the Day of the Covenant (which I think might be my favorite Holy Day, which just makes it so cool, because its like favorite Old-World Holiday meets favorite New-World Holiday, ShaZAM!) celebration that evening, calling my family and friends, and moving very slowly to evade nausea and seeing stars.

At 12:30, my neighbor got home from school, which led to a few hours of trying to keep up with his constant do-this-do-that-WOW! energy. We made cards, drawings, pancakes, pirate costumes, and a box for his plastic animal-toys, and watched National Geographic videos of sharks and eagles, which are some of his favorite animals. At which time Maryam got home with surprise pie, chocolate, and nutella (along with normal food) as a Thanksgiving treat! (Thank you Maryam, this saved my life). And so I rested, took a nap, and ate some pie before going to the Day of the Covenant celebration.

The Covenant is one of those things that the greater your understanding, the more it blows your mind. I remember when I was little and I thought of 'Abdu'l-Bahá as simply "the Perfect Exemplar". And that was awesome (and I say that word to mean "filled with awe", not 'cool'). But more recently, I've profundizado (deepened) on 'Abdu'l-Bahá more: as the Center of the Covenant, as the Interpreter of the Writings, as the Teacher of the Western world. And the enormity of this gift that we've been given in the form of 'Abdu'l-Bahá just stuns me again. Especially as the Center of the Covenant. Because it ensures the unity of the Bahai Faith. It gives it legitimacy. It provides an order, which in turn provides a means of progression by the Bahai's on a worldwide level. Everything about it fits together so well...I just sigh to myself when I think about it; a happy sigh that means I know that things are going to work out, because there's a divine order to this.

The Day of the Covenant was very nice. And afterwards, we had a dinner of lentils, rice, and (you guessed it) chicken. Not exactly what you'd expect for Thanksgiving, but it was served, and I was eating dinner with the Bahai community, all sitting together. It was like in How the Grinch Stole Christmas* where all the Whos have the spirit of Christmas without the toys; we had the spirit of community and family without the turkey and mashed potatoes. And sitting next to Maryam, I brainstormed some things I'm thankful for:

Family: Because I felt their absence today, but also felt their love. (And I got to talk to some who I haven't talked to in a very long time. I love you Carly, Jenny, Robbie, Sue, Nancy, and of course Granny and Gramps!)

The Community Here: Because they've embraced me and helped me grow so much here. Because they're patient when I say "It's crying" instead of "It's raining" and have to hear everything twice before I understand.

Maryam: Because when I'm frustrated from school or headaches or the hot water heater, she understands and sympathizes without dragging me down into a spiral of self-pity. And she brings pie home. And she sings like a pro, and likes Wicked, and laughs at her own jokes.


My education, and ability to learn: Because I really feel blessed to have the understanding of the world that I do. (If that makes sense)


Our house: Because even though I just washed a honkin' daddy slug down the sink, its home.


The opportunities and worldview I've received from living in the United States: Because I was able to make copies and print things in high school, and because I had breaks between classes, and because I learned Spanish in an easier manner than the kids learn English here. And also, I'm thankful that although I grew up in the US, I am able to understand that because we  have a very bountiful culture does not mean it is innately better, and I have an appreciation of other cultures too.

My Faith: Because taking this year was one of the best decisions I've made in my life, and because being a Bahai is a very integrated part of me, and because through my faith I can better the world.


My Parents: Because I am only now becoming aware of some of the things you've done for me, and feeling the effects of your nurturing. Because I see parents here, with their strengths and weaknesses, and I think "Wow, I was lucky. I got the most amazing parents ever". Because when I think of ways to better my teaching, I think of ways my parents taught me.


 Happy Thanksgiving, World.




*Or Thanksgiving, rather

5 comments:

  1. The other day I was explaining this theory to my friend that if all the bad guys in the world played more ukulele, then they would stop being bad and start being peaceful. Because, ya know, uke makes everything so chill and delightful. And then she was like "Elika, your brain works in beautiful ways." Only I think that's fairly untrue, and my brain is just easily distractible and filled with lots of random crazy. But the point of this really long comment is that I think YOUR brain works in beautiful ways. And I'm thankful that we're friends even though I didn't write that on my blog, but that's because sometimes I get really obsessed with Harry Potter and forget about everything else. But I love you kind of a lot more than Harry Potter even though you don't have Jim Dale's voice. But you have Valerie's brain. Okay, end of gushy comment novella.
    Love love love, E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Elika is so much more of an eloquent writer than myself... I will just have to say ditto to what she said. I am thankful for YOU Valerie. And thankful for all the world perspectives and peace initiatives you bring into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND OH MY GOSH DID YOU PUT THOSE FISH THERE! I LOVE IT! And we need to skype... Cause there's some things I gots to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you get to play with Kendy every.single.day. totally jealous!!!

    and yes, you will eat a lot of arroz con pollo this year!! and guess what? it is probably every otavalian (?) kids favourite food!!

    jeje.

    lurv.

    bk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily: FISH ARE SO COOL. AND YOU CAN FEED THEM BY CLICKING.

    Elika: I hope your friend agreed that playing the ukulele would eliminate stress from world dictators. I think it would also lift the quality of life and socio-economic status of impoverished countries. Butterflies and hurricanes, you know.

    Bahieh: Ironically, Kendy doesn't like chicken. Which didn't stop him from having KFC for his birthday dinner...he just likes the french fries. Love to you too!

    ReplyDelete