26 August 2010

Countdown.

My room looks like a hotel room.

Okay, its shaped differently. It doesn't have the weird slatey curtains, and I left a few posters on the walls. But (except for my books, which I couldn't bear to part with) all of my stuff is in one of three piles: "Ecuador"(the smallest pile), "College" (stuff I can't take in my baggage allowance but will want at Lewis and Clark, i.e. sweatpants and sweatshirts and more shoes), and "GET RID OF" (which is pretty self-explanatory).

The feeling of being PACKED (or at least organized as a prerequisite of packing) is exhilarating. Its nice to think that we can finally have a guest room in the house. Its nice to know my materialism doesn't extend to packing every single thing I own into an array of large boxes in order to recreate my room EXACTLY how it was, clutter and all. Its nice to vacuum without moving anything.

It also makes me aware of the fact that in 5 days, I WILL BE NOT IN THIS ROOM ANYMORE. Which is a scary feeling. I mean exciting, but scary.

I'm ready to leave, don't get me wrong. I said goodbye to some friends today, and it was like yeah, this is hard, but I've been expecting it and I understand that its hard, and I'm accepting it. No big. I am ready for this transitional period to be over, and for me to start service! But with the closure of cleaning--emptying--my room, its like, at this moment, I don't live anywhere. And that is kind of a freaky feeling.

Overall? I just feel weird

So I'm going to take out my contacts, put Charlie to sleep, and get some sleep in this hotel room. Because tomorrow is a big day, and the next few days will probably be an emotional roller coaster, full of weirdness and excitement and sadness...
Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Valerie. I am proud of you. If you saw my room right now you would NOT be impressed... I need to take some lessons from the pro.

    And may I join you on that roller coaster? Cause I think i'm just in a different cart right now, and it always makes the loops better to be sitting next to a friend :)

    ReplyDelete